Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ruffle Bloomer Tutorial (kind of)

Well helooooo there! I apologize for the unannounced hiatus, but like I said before, this lady was BI-ZY! I did however find the time to make the ultimate cute Christmas outfit for my daughter, the inspiration of which (of course) came from Pinterest.

Squeeee right?!


However this wasn't on Pinterest as a tutorial, it was a link to an Etsy listing for the adorable ruffle bloomers. I wasn't about to spend $35 on bloomers that my daughter would wear once, more power to you if you want to, but that's just NMS.

I went looking for an easy bloomer tutorial and found this one from marthastewart.com. I made the bloomers out of solid red 100% cotton and attached 4 ruffles (I added an extra ruffle) of alternating red and white stripe material, and solid red material.

I followed the bloomer tutorial until it was time to shirr around the leg holes and insert elastic around the waist so I could attach the ruffles without having to fight with bunched up fabric.

I attached each ruffle from top to bottom, starting about 2" down and finishing right above the top of the leg holes. Then I inserted the elastic around the waist and since I had some pretty red fold over elastic, I used that around the leg holes instead of shirring.

As for the leggings, I ordered some red and white striped tights from www.welovecolors.com, cut off the feet, and sewed on faux fur cuffs around the bottoms.

I did the bloomers in one night and the leggings the day after, easy peasy! I would also like to say that since the bloomer tutorial is for a 2T (if I remember correctly) I traced the inside of the pattern about 1" and cut the excess away. Grace wears cloth diapers so her butt is extra badonk-a-donk and the bloomers fit her perfectly!

Here she is, my little candy cane!


Here we are Christmas Day
(Please excuse the photo quality).


I'm really glad I added the extra ruffle!


So there you have it. A sort of tutorial on how I made my daughter's Pinterest inspired, squeeee worthy Christmas outfit! I know the tutorial part kind of sucked, but I didn't take any pictures of my process of making this (I was in a rush), or else I would have explained it in much more detail. If you'd like to take a crack at it and want better instructions let me know, I'd love an excuse to make Grace another pair of ruffle bloomers!


3 comments:

Mishu said...

This is adorable. I am saving this for next year!! Hopefully by then I'll learn to sew (just got a machine for Christmas from my parents).

Sarah (aka Mom) said...

Crazy cute! I might have to try this for V!

pattipu said...

These are so cute!! I'm a sucker for ruffle butts but have no little girls in the family to buy for. I would love to be able to make things like this but don't have the ambition to buy a sewing machine and learn how!